Bavarois With Mango





"To be a good cook you have to have a love of the good, a love of hard work, and a love of creating."
(~Julia Child)


She says it like it is...true! For me, cooking is therapeutical. It is also almost like an act of worship. I approach it with reverence, love, devotion, joy, humility, and gratefulness. I confess that I pray that the labour of my hands be blessed every time I enter the kitchen to cook a meal, so those who partake of it may be blessed too! There I said it! Didn't think I'd ever say this to all and sundry and here I am putting it down in writing. At my age I guess one says and does things one never ever wanted to earlier. Gosh! I sound like an eighty-year-old!


Okay, today I have this four-ingredient dessert that's actually light, so easy, a ten-year-old can make it, yet so delicious. It leaves one with so many options to innovate and create something akin to a cheesecake. It's eggless, free of flour, free of corn starch, free from cooking. I know you're agog now to find out more so let's get to it pronto. I couldn't give this recipe without a mention of the person who gave me the recipe - my friend Barbara. Grateful to you girl!


Ingredients

Evaporated milk (leche de evaporada).........................1 tin
Condensed milk.............................................................1 tin
Jelly/flavoured gelatine.................................................1 pkt, lemon flavour
Mango pulp (fresh mango)............................................1 n 1/2 medium size mangos


Keep the tin of evaporated milk in the refrigerator twenty-four hours before required. Not in the freezer, it needs to be cold not frozen.

Bring to a boil, 2 cups of water. Add the contents of the jelly packet and stir briskly to dissolve the jelly crystals. Keep aside.




Whip up the evaporated milk until it is nice and frothy, and almost doubled in quantity.

Add the condensed milk, and blitz twice or thrice to meld the condensed milk and evaporated milk.

When the condensed milk is incorporated well, add the mango pulp and blitz some more to get a smooth, thick liquid.

Now pour in the warm jelly mixture (the jelly should not start to set) and give it a good mix with the mixer.

Pour into a plastic or metal mould. Don't use glass bowls or dishes.

Leave to set in the refrigerator. Not in the freezer!



Make a pulp with half of the mango...or cube/slice it instead...up to you. 

When the bavarois is set, use a flat spoon or spatula to slice and lift out squares or slices. Or you could spoon it out and pour puree around it. It's up to you and your imagination.



Use the puree or cubes to garnish.

Serve with wafers or as it is.


________________________________________________________________________




Comments