Baked Omelettes




"Those who think they have no time for exercise will sooner or later have to find time for illness!"
"Just because you're not sick, doesn't mean you are healthy."
"If you don't take care of your body, where are you going to live?"

(Edward Stanley, Unknown, Unknown)


All these quotes have said something for me, about me and kept me thinking a lot about the age old adage: Health is Wealth. Despite being careful of my diet, being active, and going 'early to bed and early to rise,'  ill-health caught me. All I can do is take care, be cautious about what I consume, how I cook it and be as healthy as I can  be - mentally, physically, emotionally and spiritually. And of course break away from the mindset that deems only that which is sauteed, fried, or cooked with oil/butter/ghee/cream is tasty....er...that is debatable no? :)

I'm glad about non-stick pans. For me, at this stage, they are ideal as I can cook quite delicious Indian meals, Indian-fusion too, without the use of oil. The doctor has allowed 3-4 drops, not to use in cooking but to sprinkle over my food in the plate! Of course the oil is EVOO. Since I have been cooking all my Indian meals in extra virgin olive oil, well before the diet restrictions hounded me, it's not a problem. I already have a well developed taste for it raw or cooked! So thankful for small mercies!!

Here are omelettes along with Baked Chicken Burger that I can say without a doubt, are healthy and tasty too.
Get Baked Chicken Burger here: http://chef-on-the-run.blogspot.com/2015/03/baked-burger.html


Ingredients

Eggs.................................4-5
Purple onion....................1/2 medium, chopped into 1/2 inch cubes, separate the layers
Zucchini...........................1 cup grated on big grater
Tomato............................1/2 medium, skin, deseed, chop into small pieces
Green chili......................acc to taste, deseed and chop into tiny bits
Green coriander.............a handful, plus a bit extra for garnish, chopped fine
Ginger(optional)............1/2 tsp, grated on fine grate
Cheese............................grated, if using slices, tear into 1/2" bits
Milk...............................2-3 tbsps
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste


Beat up the egg, add salt, pepper, ginger, handful of green coriander, tomato, green chilli, milk.
Take a muffin baking tray. You can brush the sides with a wee bit of oil if you want, or use silicone moulds.
Place a few onions first, then add a bit of grated zucchini.
Now pour in the egg mixture leaving 1/4 space at the top.
Drop the cheese and green coriander on the top.


Bake in a preheated oven at 185 gas mark until the egg is firm in the centre.
Allow the eggs to cool a bit. (Go by the temperature of whichever oven you are using. I have a gas oven which is quirky)
Use a butter knife or anything similar to loosen the sides and remove the omelette 'muffins' from the tray.
Enjoy absolutely yummy, soft, spongy omelettes sans oil and frying.



The best part of these omelettes is that you can add anything you want....ham, bacon, sausages, any vegetable....experiment with new herbs and vegetables!

_______________________________________________________________________________




Comments