Tuna Burgers



"Is this chicken, what I have, or is it fish? I know it's tuna, but it says, "Chicken of the Sea."
(~Jessica Simpson)


It was one of those days when I just didn't want to eat our usual Indian...actually I didn't want Chinese or Thai either...Sushi would have been great, but it was out of question. A tin of tuna in oil caught my attention and I got all excited about cooking lunch! A foray, deeper, into the refrigerator yielded a good helping of a spicy Arrollado roll. Some eggs, a couple of marraquetas (Chilean bread rolls) and I was armed to the hilt to tackle lunch.

I have been making tuna sandwiches and tuna cutlets off and on over the years, but this I decided to use a bit of teriyaki. I recall reading it somewhere on the net. So using my time-old recipe with a twist of Teriyaki sauce, I made delectable tuna burgers, omelettes stuffed with chopped arrollado, and thankfully unlike the arrollados one usually finds, this one didn't have a thick pork skin around it! BTW Arrollado is a Chilean pork roll. A couple of marraquetas halved, lightly toasted and buttered while hot, to let the butter melt into it, completed a light, fulfilling lunch for me. A cup of green tea later on, added the period! Try it, when you're in one of those lethargic moods, trust me, you'll enjoy it as much as I did. Super easy, hassle-free burgers!


Ingredients

Tuna steak in oil.......................................1 tin, 184 gms
Egg white.................................................of 1 egg
Panko......................................................6 tbsps. If you don't have panko, use fresh breadcrumbs
Onion......................................................2 tbsps, very finely chopped onion
Fresh ginger...........................................1/2 tsp of minced or very finely chopped bits
Green chilli, deseeded............................1 tsp,chopped or acc to taste or alternatively use 1/4 tsp green chilli sauce. I'm not fond of adding this
Fresh coriander (cilantro).....................1, heaped tbsp chopped
Teriyaki Sauce.......................................2 tbsps
Pepper...................................................acc to taste
Cumin pwdr..........................................1/2 tsp
Salt, not necessary. But you can go with your taste.
EVOO...................................................just to brush the pan


Drain out oil from tuna. Mash well with a fork.
Add egg white, onion, chopped green chilli, ginger, chopped coriander, cumin powder, pepper. Mix well with your hands.
Now add the panko. Mix well into the mixture. Check for salt. I didn't need any. Check for other flavours too and add accordingly.
Divide into two parts and make two big burgers.
Heat a non-stick pan on medium heat, lightly brush the pan with extra virgin olive oil.
Put the burgers in and cook for about 2 minutes on one side, keep checking that it isn't burning. If the heat is too much, lower it. Turn over and cook the other side too for about two minutes.
Remove from pan. 

Eat it as it is or put it into a bun. Or serve with a stuffed omelette and bread with garlic butter. 



*******************************************************************************



Comments